Shape your world

"It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -- Thoreau's Walden

Monday, February 23, 2009

Fear and Deprivation

Ten days ago, I bought a new car. Well, it is a used car - one year used. And I love my new ride.

Still, there are some parts of the decision that I am not happy with, and here's what I mentally wrestling with.
  • Despite the fact that I drove the same sedan for nine years, I feel a bit guilty about buying a newer vehicle now - in the middle of the economic mess when I feel that instead, I should be saving my money instead of giving it to a car dealership.
  • The vehicle I purchased gets about 60% of the gas mileage of my old sedan. Nevermind that I drive easily 60% less than I did in the days of commuting to work everyday and that I live in a 100% walkable community and that even at this reduced gas mileage the new vehicle burns about half the gas of my husband's ride of choice, I still feel guilty about burning more fuel when I do drive.
  • There's a button for everything in this vehicle. I thought that would be a good thing, but now that I've owned it for one week, I'm a bit dismayed that there's a button for everything.
But, the truth about this purchase is that it was about my feelings of fear (that I was going to miss out on this vehicle which was everything that I had wanted) and deprivation (that I had squeezed everyone and everything into my small sedan while wishing that I could afford something bigger and more practical for far too long now.) And fear and deprivation is just not where you want to be making big purchase decisions.

And yet, isn't this where many of us make decisions? I know enough to know that I've been here before - buying my first home, buying my last car and many other decisions too personal to mention.

It's a shame that of all the emotions that our economy and our world could run on - these are the two that we've chosen.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

See, I'm back on the plastic bag thing again. Although, we've made progress - the dog now goes in the woods!! Woo Hoo!

Now my pet peeve is number 5 plastic containers. It seems everything I buy these days is in #5. You can only do so many things with little yogurt containers, believe me. And we can't find a decent water bottle for The Boy or smaller drink containers for the girls...

Okay the van - we are so happy we have one. Even when there was just the one child, it was so much easier to travel or get together with friends!