Shape your world

"It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -- Thoreau's Walden

Friday, January 5, 2007

New Parents

As I sit down to write this post, I have just learned that my friends George and Catherine are on their way to the hospital to deliver their baby. This is such an exciting time! I remember just a little over one year ago when I made the transition to being a parent. It was a wonderful day, despite the pain and all the things my doctors and nurses had to do to make it happen.

My memories of that day are so vivid and I imagine that time will do little to fade them. Nearly as vivid are the memories of the many friends and neighbors that made meals for us, loaned us baby books and gear, and kept an eye on my sleeping Angel so I could make a quick trip to the grocery store.

So, now it's my turn. My friend Catherine's situation is very much like mine: 7,000 miles from home, giving birth to my first child, dealing with cultural norms vastly different than my own and doing all these things in the dead of winter. Today, I'm lining up friends to cook dinners and passing along visitation wishes. This is truly "paying it forward."

You can't ever repay the favors given to you by others during this special time when you're too busy becoming a parent to feed yourself. You can only honor the cycle and make the transition easier for the next new mom you encounter.

Catherine and George - Good Luck and enjoy every hair-raising moment!

Mothers who came to my aid last year - Thanks. I'm thinking of each of you today and thanking God for putting you in my life when I needed you.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Just thought I'd tell you hello! I'm envying your posession of DSL - you can post pictures of the gal any time you feel like it! Welcome to blogging!

Amy said...

Hello, Hon! Miss you. Thanks for finding me.