Shape your world

"It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -- Thoreau's Walden

Friday, January 16, 2009

Just what I do

I follow Christine Kane's Blog devotedly. Yesterday's post struck a chord with me. The bottom line: "The meaning of Creativity is choosing to be the creator, not the reactor." She reminds us that creating routine and ritual helps us take the volatile emotions away from situations that can overwhelm and derail us.

Say to yourself, "This is just what I do" and use the ritual to move through the rough patches. I said that to myself last night at 6:30pm, 7:15pm, 11:50pm, 12:40am, 3:30am and again at 5:15am -- "Get up, this is just what you do, you are the Mom, you are what makes this family work."

Now, I don't make it part of my routine to wake up frequently in the middle of the night, but I do have a kid(s)-awake-in-the-middle-of-the-night routine. Go. Soothe. Mend. Snuggle. Return to bed. Many have told me I do too much, but the routine I've created works for us.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

That is what you do. And whether or not you believe it, you do it well. Even through the messy bathtub sprained ankle falling down stairs kinda days.

Miss you.