Shape your world

"It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -- Thoreau's Walden

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Imagine a New World

I'm reading Thomas Friedman's Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America for a class I'm taking. I have to admit it's a fascinating read. I love the part where he suggests that America challenge China to a "Green Race" similar to our Space Race with the former Soviet Union. Lots of good ideas in this book.

Basically, he challenges us to think way outside the box, and use that great American ingenuity to find a way to conquer global environmental challenges.

So, I was trying to imagine a world without containers (as I sipped on a soda from a convenience store, of course). What would that world look like?

I got bogged down as I considered an alternative to sippy cups.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Artist Advocate Ray Tapajna reviews The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman and devotes a site to it. See http://tapsearch.com/flatworld/

Thomas Friedman is an evangelist for free trade and globalization which has dramtically affected our ecology. See http://tapsearch.com/flatworld and see also The Dark Side of an energy saving light bulb at http://www.phillyfuture.ort/node/5298/ Read how it takes 8000 miles of long haul shipping and packaging to get to the USA from "dirty mercurcy" factories.

( Ray's most popular artwork is now part of more than 5 million search results referenced on Yahoo and Google under the art's title - Clinton Years American Dream Reversed

Cheri said...

See, I get bogged down on the whole plastic vs canvas bag for groceries. If I use the canvas, then I have nothing for the dog messes... and honestly - I am NOT using any type of leaf, etc!