Shape your world

"It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -- Thoreau's Walden

Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Perfect Day

June 12th, 2008.

My memories of it are already starting to fade, but this I remember:

We turned in his books. Princess Pea and I stayed in the car and played while Baby J slept. She pretended to drive and turn on the radio. A man told me she was beautiful, he always wanted girls, but had all boys. I urged him to hope for granddaughters.

We went to music class and all acted like kids.

We had lunch together at a favorite spot.

The weather was perfect.

In the evening, we picked up chicken and drove to Beavertail State Park on Conanicut Island for a picnic. We spread a green wool blanket on the grass overlooking the rocks on the east side. Princess Pea and her dad walked along the rocks – she thrilled and dad petrified. It was very breezy, and we all wished that we had sweatshirts.

Here I learned the romance of no romance. The romance of doing the everyday, and loving it.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

This was so beautiful.

Although, honestly, I had to do a double take at the date since I knew that eevn IF your husband had time off today you probably needed much more than a sweatshirt to keep you warm!

Cheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.